Instructions for Calculating Beam & Carried Spans
- Refer to the above illustration to determine the beam / header needed for your application.
- Determine the beam / header span (length) and the span carried (supported) by the beam / header.
- Click on the appropriate beam, this will take you to the calculation table for your project.
- The column on the left of each chart labeled BEAM SPAN represents the beam length (with bearing) required for your project.
- The top column labled SPAN CARRIED BY BEAM determines the span supported by your beam.
- The box on the chart that matches across your beam span and down from the span carried represents the Better Header® product which suits your needs.
- Use BEAM LEGEND chart for description of Better Header® beam number(s) that will best suit your application.